Dinton is a pretty thriving village with a host of amenities situated approximately 8 miles west of Salisbury and 5 miles to Wilton. Dinton nestles the river Nadder, which forms the boundary at the south end of the village with the wooded ridge of The Hanging to the North.
The B3089 runs through the centre of the village with a large park providing recreation for all ages with playgrounds, football and cricket pitch.
Dinton has a wealth of history and is home to several National Trust Properties including Philipps House (to the east of Dinton village), Little Clarendon, Hyde’s House, Dinton Lodge and Lawes Cottage.
Dinton services and amenities
Dinton Village Hall holds a host of regular activities such as whist drives, table tennis and Aikido for the more enthusiastic. It also is home to a pre school with both morning and afternoon sessions. The hall can be hired for one off occasions such as birthday parties, balls or meetings and can seat up to 100 guests. There is a small kitchen and tables, chairs, crockery and cutlery hire is also available.
The Parish Church is Grade 1 listed. It was begun in the late 12th Century and the north door survives from the earliest work while the rest of the church dates largely from the 13th and 14th centuries.
Dinton Pre-School is unique in its setting and character. In 1975 the Pre-school opened in Mrs Clark’s living room with a handful of children, gradually over the years the school expanded and moved in to purpose built premises adjoining National Trust parkland that the children have access too as part of their pre-school day.
Dinton Primary School
Dinton C of E Primary school is a small rural primary school teaching girls and boys from Reception level (age 4-5) up to Year 6 (age 11) with 119 children on roll. Dinton Primary School is pleasantly situated in wooded grounds with its own sports field, playground, adventure playground and swimming pool. In addition to the four main classrooms, the school has a multi-purpose hall, small group teaching areas and an outdoor classroom. The school prides itself in creating a sense of community with pupils, staff, governors and parents working together to ensure that the children are challenged to reach their full potential.
The community shop
Re-opened by local villagers and now staffed by young and old volunteers, Dinton community shop shows how close knit the village community is. With a range of local deli and butcher treats and fresh baked breads and pastries, this is the perfect one stop shop. There is a small coffee area and part time post office operating on site. Worth a visit!
Nadder Valley Pizzas
New to Dinton and opened in April 2016 is the first rural pizza delivery in the area. Run by local lady, Elly, a village resident, Nadder Valley Pizzas provides delicious homemade pizzas with good quality local ingredients.
Pubs in Dinton
Dinton is lucky to have not just one pub but two and both locals and visitors sing their praises regularly. Take a look on Trip Advisor at the reviews and the 4/5 star ratings!
The Wyndham Arms
A friendly pub with a superb menu, excellent food and huge portions are on offer at the Wyndham including the renowned Sunday lunch. Book early to avoid disappointment!
The Penruddocke Arms
The Penruddocke Arms is a friendly family run pub offering lunch and dinner which are rated as excellent and reasonable on the pocket! Bed and a hearty breakfast are also on offer.
Events in Dinton
Every year, the Dinton Fireworks show at Philips House attracts many visitors, with spectacular professional firework displays, stalls and fairground attractions.
Rural property for sale in Dinton
Rural View are local to Dinton and one of the managing partners even lives here! If we can help find those hidden rural property gems in Wiltshire, finding a house for sale or rent in Dinton, please contact us.
One of the prettiest villages in Wiltshire is the picturesque parish of Teffont. It is a rural idyll of two halves: Teffont Magna and Teffont Evias.
Much of the ancient parish of Teffont in Wiltshire lies on the chalk downs by that rise between the valleys the the Wylye and Nadder. Nestled below the downs at Springhead a stream emerges which runs through the village. There is an abundance of history from the area dating 846 AD encompassing the Ice Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Saxons, Normans, Romans up to the 19th Century. At the time of the Norman Conquest the village was divided into two being Teffont Magna and Teffont Evias.
The scenery is spectacular and walking through the area is not to be missed. The village hosts a summer fete in July every year so come along if you are passing through the area and enjoy a warm welcome from the locals.
Also known as Upper Teffont lies along the main road and along a road which leads to the downs. Several cottages, which are built of local stone and date from the 17th and 18th Century are built along the bank of the fast flowing stream with stone bridges spanning the stream to the road.
A chocolate box village, peaceful and beautiful. Take time to enjoy the walks following the stream through the village. Cottages date from the 16 Century with thatched roofs and arched leaded windows.
Teffont Magna st edward king of the saxons. church of england
The church is a very simple one dating from the 13th Century with a well worn flagstone floor. The porch shelters some interesting graffiti etched on to the door jambs and appear to be medieval ships. Hanging from a beam is the original 13th Century bell which although now cracked and not in use is thought to be one of the few in England from that period. The carved oak screen (originally a rood screen) dating from the 16th Century is one of the few which survived in Wessex during the Reformation.
teffont evias st michael and all angels church of england
It has been suggested that there probably was a church here in 1100 but records show the church was here in 1200. The church is built of local Chilmark stone (similar to that of Salisbury Cathedral). In the north east corner of the church is an impressive tomb with three stone effigies in armour. The oldest is that of Harry Ley who purchased the manor of Teffont Evias from Henry VIII in 1534 and died in 1537.
amenites in teffont
A 1623 Dower House is now a wonderful hotel with a very pretty terrace and gardens in which you can enjoy a morning coffee, lunch or a welcome glass of wine during the summer. Elegant interiors and delicious food are served in the restaurant. The bedrooms mix old and new providing a comfortable but not overly plush or fussy accommodation. Fresh flowers, cracking fires, deep sofas and newspapers give a warm homely feel to this beautiful Grade II listed property dating from 1623.
Howard’s House offer Gourmet Getaways including a 7 course tasting menu and a hamper of homemade goodies to take home with you. If romance is in the air why not stay in the Four Poster bedroom! Don’t forget to bring your walking boots or wellies and enjoy the many outdoor pursuits the area has to offer.
manor farm livery teffont magna
Manor Farm offer full outsized outdoor school together with a sandbarn, hard standing areas, horse walker and a 60 x 20 metres incorporating mirrors for training mirrors and a Martin Collins activ-track surface. They also offer a wide range of livery services too which range from full to holiday.
Zoe Gregory is the on site yard manager who has previously worked for an international gold medal eventer as well as competing herself in all disciplines. She has evented up to intermediate level and advanced level dressage.
property for sale or rent in teffont
Are you looking to move to the Teffont Area. With its pretty stone cottages and thatched roofs, this is a picture perfect place to buy a rural property. If you are thinking of selling your house in Teffont or looking for a property for sale or rent, we can help.